August 3, 2023
Six weeks of summer has passed us by…but there’s another 7 weeks remaining.
Here’s the news in summary to keep you up to date with club activities.
Hats off to Scott Kappler, who again arranged a great Good Morning America Fourth of July Parade! Scott has announced that he is stepping down as principal (sole?) organizer, but is willing to work with, but not chair, a Parade Committee. Please contact me if interested in this important event.
July granting activity:
- $500 to PB&J Outreach to help homeless people and families in need
- $500 to Community Literacy Council to support adult learners in reading as well as English as a Second Language instruction.
- $2,000 to the Plymouth Historical Society to help fund a major update to their Victorian Room.
The Popcorn Wagon continues to be popular on Thursday and Friday nights. Staffing during Art in the Park was also scheduled, which raked in over $1,800 during the three day weekend event. Staffing is nearly complete for the remainder of the season, though assistance is needed on two Fridays, 8/25 and 9/01. Please help!
Important dates (my perspective):
- 08/03 – Beautiful weather for today’s golf outing…another successful event.
- 08/10 – First Responders’ Picnic, Township Park Pavilion, 11 AM – 1 PM
- Please try to attend to provide support and thanks to our First Responders.
- 08/11 – Fun Committee event: Kiwanians and their significant others are invited to listen to “Magic Bus” at Wilcox House, courtesy of Ernie Hughes. BYOBF. Parking will be tight in town that night; park behind Ernie’s and mention Kiwanis to park gratis
- 08/11 – 08/13 – Perseid meteor shower (Get up early!)
- 08/11 – 08/13 – Sweetest Heart of Mary Pierogi Festival
- 08/17 – TBD
- 08/24 – Fred Paris, Plymouth Solar Panel
- 08/31 – Philip Yamron, Acorn Glass – Meet at PARC
- 09/01 – 09/04 – Detroit Jazz Festival
- 09/07 – Mary Kay Gallagher, Diane Powers, Bridgepointe
- 09/09 – Pancake Breakfast
- 09/23 – KCAH food packaging event
Here ends the news. Have a fun month!
Rick, Fun Committee Chair